The Design of Design
Esays from a Computer ScientistPaperback Engels 2010 9780201362985
Effective design is at the heart of everything from software development to engineering to architecture. But what do we really know about the design process? What leads to effective, elegant designs? 'The Design of Desig'n addresses these questions.
These new essays by Fred Brooks contain extraordinary insights for designers in every discipline. Brooks pinpoints constants inherent in all design projects and uncovers processes and patterns likely to lead to excellence. Drawing on conversations with dozens of exceptional designers, as well as his own experiences in several design domains, Brooks observes that bold design decisions lead to better outcomes.
The author tracks the evolution of the design process, treats collaborative and distributed design, and illuminates what makes a truly great designer. He examines the nuts and bolts of design processes, including budget constraints of many kinds, aesthetics, design empiricism, and tools, and grounds this discussion in his own real-world examples-case studies ranging from home costruction to IBM's Operating System/360. Throughout, Brooks reveals keys to success that every designer, design project manager, and design researcher should know.
Geef uw waardering
Part 1: Models of Designing
1. The Design Question
2. How Engineers Think of Desig- The Rational Model
3. What's Wrong with This Model?
4. Requirements, Sin, and Contracts
5. What Are Better Design Process Models?
Part 2: Collaboration and Telecollaboration
6. Collaboration in Design
Part 3: Design Perspectives
8. Rationalism versus Empiricism in Design
9. User Models-Better Wrong than Vague
10. Inches, Ounces, Bits, Dollars-The Budgeted Resource
11. Constraints Are Friends
12. Esthetics and Style in Technical Design
13. Exemplars in Design
14. How Expert Designers Go Wrong
15. The Divorce of Design
16. Representing Designs' Trajectories and Rationales
Part 4: A Computer Scientist's Dream System for Designing Houses
17. A Computer Scientist's Dream System for Designing Houses-Mind to Machine
18. A Computer Scientist's Dream System for Designing Houses-Machine to Mind
Part 5: Great Designers
19. Great Designs Come from Great Designers
20. Where Do Great Designers Come From?
Part 6: Trips through Design Spaces: Case Studies
21. Case Study: Beach House "View/360"
22. Case Study: House Wing Addition
23. Case Study: Kitchen Remodeling
24. Case Study: System/360 Architecture
25. Case Study: IBM Operating System/360
26. Case Study: Book Design of Computer Architecture: Concepts and Evolution
27. Case Study: A Joint Computer Center Organization: Triangle Universities Computation Center
28. Recommended Reading
Managementboek Top 100
- Algemeen management
- Coaching en trainen
- Communicatie en media
- Financieel management
- Inkoop en logistiek
- Internet en social media
- IT-management / ICT
- Mens en maatschappij
- Personal finance
- Persoonlijke effectiviteit
- Reclame en verkoop
- Strategisch management
- Werk en loopbaan