Since its first publication over twenty years ago, Images of Organization has become a classic in the canon of management literature. The book is based on a very simple premise—that all theories of organization and management are based on implicit images or metaphors that stretch our imagination in a way that can create powerful insights, but at the risk of distortion. Gareth Morgan provides a rich and comprehensive resource for exploring the complexity of modern organizations internationally, translating leading-edge theory into leading-edge practice.
This new Updated Edition preserves Morgan's renowned creative images and metaphors while refreshing the references and tables. The addition of a preface situates this classic theory in today's business environment while the instructor's resources (now available on CD) aid classroom teaching. Please contact SAGE customer service to order your copy.
Images of Organization challenges and reshapes how we think about organization and management in the most fundamental way. The new Updated Edition makes this monumental work available to a new generation of students and business leaders worldwide.
Part 1: Overview
Part 2: Some images of organization
2. Mechanisation takes command: organizations as machines
3. Nature intervenes: organizations as organisms.
4. Learning and self-organization: organizations as brains
5. Creating social realty: organizations as cultures
6. Interests, conflict and power: organizations as political systems
7. Exploring Plato's cave: organizations as psychic prisons
8. Unfolding logics of change: organizations as flux and transformation
9. The ugly face: organizations as instruments of domination
Part 3: Implications for practice
10. The challenge of metaphor
11. Reading and shaping organizational life
About the author
Managementboek Top 100
- Algemeen management
- Coaching en trainen
- Communicatie en media
- Financieel management
- Inkoop en logistiek
- Internet en social media
- IT-management / ICT
- Mens en maatschappij
- Personal finance
- Persoonlijke effectiviteit
- Reclame en verkoop
- Strategisch management
- Werk en loopbaan